These halloween vegetarian stuffed peppers are super easy to make, full of flavour and good nutritions, filling and perfect for freezing (for up to a month) for a later snack. Made with delicious bean, tomato and quinoa filling, topped with cheese and hot green peppers, wrapped in wholewheat wraps, and baked to perfection. For a vegan-friendly version swap the cheese for vegan cheese; and for a non-spicy version, instead of green chilli topping use sweetcorn, peas or avocado cubes. Add a small decorating touch of spooky edible eyes on top to give it a halloween feel 👻. Guaranteed! even kids who refuse to eat veggies won’t say ‘no’ to these delicious and healthy mummies. Follow the easy step-by-step instructions below and find nutrition values right in the bottom.
|Halloween Stuffed Peppers :|
|COURSE : Appetiser||DIETARY INFO : Vegetarian, Can Be Vegan||SERVINGS : 8|
|PREP TIME : 15 mins||COOK TIME : 25 mins||TOTAL TIME : 40 mins|
- 4 long peppers (washed and dried)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can red beans
- 1 cup (approx. 200 gr) quinoa
- 2 cups (approx. 700 ml) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 wholewheatl tortilla wraps
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 pairs of edible eyes
- 1 green chilli pepper (optional topping)
- other optional toppings: avocado, sweetcorn, green peas
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Slice each washed pepper halfway, through the stems. Discard the ribs and seeds, and place on the baking tray. Spray with a bit of cooking oil spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for about 8 minutes and then set aside.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion and garlic, then heat oil in a pot, add onion and garlic in, and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add in tomatoes and beans, and cook for about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, wash the quinoa and prepare vegetable broth.
- Stir in the quinoa and broth. Add ground cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Cover and let it all simmer over low heat until the quinoa is cooked through about 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut each tortilla into narrow strips. Then wash and slice the green chilli (optional).
- Remove quinoa mixture from heat and stuff the already roasted peppers with it.
- Sprinkle with cheese on top, add slices of green chilli on top (or other optional toppings), then wrap each pepper with two tortilla strips.
- Bake for about 6-8 minutes until the cheese starts to turn brown.
- Once done, remove from the oven and decorate with edible eyes. Enjoy 👻
Nutrition Values (per serving)* :
Calories: 321kcal | Fat: 12.6g | Saturated Fat: 5.6g | Carbohydrates: 46.3g | Sugar: 9.2g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 189.4mg | Protein: 8.9g
*(when served with portion of rice)